If can't YouTube'em, Join'em!

A real good buddy of mine, who is incidentaly in cinema business, was very excited when he told me that he had a very very cool internet adress to give . Well, I'll have to admit that the excitement got a hold of me too. The address lived up to its expectation, it is the YouTube profile page of a guy (or a robot) named DrNo25 who somehow gotten a hold of two short films by my favorite director Martin Scorsese from his time as a young bright film student at New York University.

Back in the days, me and my buddy found ourselves privileged when we gotten a hold of Martin Scorsese's early films like Mean Streets , and finding one of his short films would seem like a dream. Thanks to YouTube and the sites like it (by the way, I only know of Google Video, I'd appreciate if anyone who knows a better site mails it to me or add to the comments), the problem (and the whole sluggish industry) of traditional content distribution is bypassed, and I do get WHAT I want to see exactly WHERE and WHEN I want to see! This was the long unfulfilled promise of the entertainment industry, which not so suprisingly solved (not to the full extent I admit) by a bunch of drinking buddies who wanted an easy way of sharing their beer-drinking-game videos (Ok, too much of a dramatization here), and not by the industry itself.

The industry spent many useful years fighting with Peer To Peer file sharing, when it could have benefited from the bright idea and the prospects that it provided. But they seem to be changing their stances (at least some of them). According to news , Warner Music Group has struck a deal with YouTube, which would make the entire(!) music video archive of Warner available to the public for free(!). The costs would be turned into blingy profits by ads shown on screen or during the videos. This is complete opposite to what Universal Music Group 's strategy, who is getting ready to file a copyrights infringement lawsuit against YouTube, just like it had done with Napster, AudioGalaxy, Kazaa and Emule... But I firmly believe that the time for "if you can't beat'em join'em cause it makes you feel good" is on horizon. Afterall, wasn't it the Queen, the band who wrote the brilliant song with these lyrics, who had continous troubles with those record companies?


Edit: I found this CNet article about Microsoft's late answer Soapbox (which is at beta version and it refuses to launch on my Mozilla, it is saying "loading" for more than 10 minutes, classic Microsoft!). This lead to other services like Revver, VideoEgg, Vox and Yahoo Video. I have not checked any of them, I will comment as soon as I do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balik Hafizali Millet ve Onun Oyunbaz Yöneticileri

Failed Training Day or Previously on Battlestar Galactica

Mixed-Up Confusion: How I solved Mac Book Air's Wireless Disconnection Problem