Walser is my hommie

First time I read Gabriel Garcia Marquez, it stroke a chord in me. It was as if the person I wanted to be in secret was out there doing the talking for me.

When I first read Kafka, I felt that Kafka was to Garcia Marques, what Garcia Marquez to me.

It would be a stretch to take this one step further with Robert Walser and Kafka, but it is no secret that Kafka read out Walser loud and laughed his guts out, and the first few pages of Geschwister Tänner struck a chord in me too.

His life story is very interesting and sad at the same time.

He spent a great deal of time in Weimarer Berlin, sitting in the Cafés and Bars, meticulously observed and wrote about the "creative" types there, something that I wish I had the time for when I was in Berlin.

One time he went to a private school to become a butler.

In the end, he was sent to the mental hospital, where he devised his own writing style and wrote what the experts now call his Micrographs, that contain stories fitting business cards, a novel written on 21 pages.

I will be writing about my experience reading Walser here.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balik Hafizali Millet ve Onun Oyunbaz Yöneticileri

Failed Training Day or Previously on Battlestar Galactica

Mixed-Up Confusion: How I solved Mac Book Air's Wireless Disconnection Problem