What is punk rock?

This is punk rock:



And this is what it means:

"I'll tell you about punk rock: punk rock is a word used by dillitante's and ah... and ah... heartless manipulators about music that takes up the energies and the bodies and the hearts and the souls and the time and the minds of young men who give what they have to it and give everything they have to it and it's a... it's a term that's based on contempt, it's a term that's based on fashion, style, elitism, satanism and everything that's rotten about rock'n'roll. I don't know Johnny Rotten but I'm sure... I'm sure he puts as much blood and sweat into what he does as Sigmund Freud did. You see, what sounds to you like a big load of trashy old noise is in fact the brilliant music of a genius, myself . And that music is so powerful that it's quite beyond my control and ah... when I'm in the grips of it I don't feel pleasure and I don't feel pain, either physically or emotionally. Do you understand what I'm talking about? Have you ever felt like that? When you just couldn't feel anything and you didn't want to either. You know? Like that? Do you understand what I'm saying sir?"


Iggy Pop - CBC - 11 March 1977:

Comments

thuan said…
man i love that snippet and that song
Ahmet C. Toker said…
mogwa song, or pixies?
thuan said…
both
thuan said…
more fun mogwai song titles from the hawk is howling (2008):

-im jim morrison, im dead
-i love you, im going to blow up your school
-thank you space expert

all 3 of which could be pretty good band names
Ahmet C. Toker said…
sad that the album is not as good. personally my favorite is 1-speed bike song names:

Yuppie Restaurant-Goers Beware Because This Song Is for the Dishwasher

or my favorite:

Any Movement That Forgets About Class Is a Bowel Movement

Popular posts from this blog

Balik Hafizali Millet ve Onun Oyunbaz Yöneticileri

Failed Training Day or Previously on Battlestar Galactica

Mixed-Up Confusion: How I solved Mac Book Air's Wireless Disconnection Problem