Berlin welcomes yet another adopted son

Fr., 30. Nov. – Rufus Wainwright

I was not familiar with Rufus Wainwright's own songs before the concert. I knew hom from his Leonard Cohen songs. As a result, my expectations were not high.

I am not sure if it was a result of my low expectations, or just the pure fact that Rufus is a great entertainer, the concert goes down on my personal music history as the "most entertaining" concert. Rufus sang from jazz, to folk, from 20's inspired revue music to very modern pop songs. The peak of the concert was when he sang an traditional Irish song, which he learned from his mother. He and his band did not use any electronic amplifiers, just their breaths. It was simply amazing. His communication with the audience was also very warm. He interrupted his songs on more then one occasion, when he made mistakes. So natural...

Watching this concert in Berlin added another dimension. He produced his last album in Berlin. There are two obvious references to Berlin in his song titles, Tiergarten and Sanssouci. But after reading this Interview with Rufus Wainwright on the net, I suspect that the "town that has already been burnt down and being disgraced before" is Berlin in my favorite Rufus Wainwright song Going to a Town. Here is the video:



I definetely recommend his concerts, as he is on European tour, he might be comeing to a town near you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balik Hafizali Millet ve Onun Oyunbaz Yöneticileri

Failed Training Day or Previously on Battlestar Galactica

Mixed-Up Confusion: How I solved Mac Book Air's Wireless Disconnection Problem