Notes from the weekend or is Dylan a Cylon?


I watched the 3. season finale of Battlestar Galactica. I am not into series so I cannot compare it to other season finales, but as an episode from a science fiction series shown on free tv, I have to say it was a masterpiece, both in terms of the dialogues, the story, the editing, the music... Lee Adama gave a speech on the trial of Dr. Gaius Balatar, a populist scientist turned politician who lead the fleet to settle down on New Caprica, only to be occupied by the Cylons, and was the head of the puppet government on New Caprica, about innocence, guilt, and clemency and justice which would not be off the story on great trial movies such as Nurnberg Trials or A Few Good Man. Bear Mc Creary, the composer behind the great music in Battlestar, arranged Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower" in a very eerie way, which was heard only by the remaining 4 Cylons in the fleet. Before discovering their true identities the Cylons used lyrics from this great song:

There must be some way out of here
There's too much confusion
I can't get no relief
No reason to get excited

In the same reverse order that Bob Dylan hinted. This is as intertextual as it can get in a production tv series. A song that has extensive references to Bible used in a Tv series which has references to the Book of Mormons which has in turn has references to Bible. I love this series.

Lastly, I fell in love with Kara Thrace again. How cute can a human being get?



Outlandish John has summarized why we love this series so much in his blog. The composer Bear McCreary has a great blog entry about the making of this song on his personal blog.

On the otherside of my weekend, was sports.

Besiktas is known to hit the bottom, and even dig down to reach even greater depths when it hits the bottom. This year was no difference. After losing the important game against Fenerbahce, we lost 3-0 to a team who is in relegation waters. Well, that's just the way it goes in Besiktas. Fenerbahce has won the championship this weekend, I congratulate them. They were the side who wanted the championship the most.

I also watched the Spanish GP. It was great drive for Felippe Massa, who is the pilot I support this season. For my team Ferrari, Raikkonen's departure from the race was a dissapointment. I strongly believed we could have gotten a double. From the Formula 1 perspective, it was another boring Barcelona race, with the only exception being the 140 000 plus spectators who rushed in to see Alonso, a world record. I was relieved to hear about the news of the first nighttime-street circuit race to be held in Singapore, and another street race in Valencia to be added to the calendar. I think it's really the way to go to gather more attention to Formula 1.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balik Hafizali Millet ve Onun Oyunbaz Yöneticileri

Failed Training Day or Previously on Battlestar Galactica

Mixed-Up Confusion: How I solved Mac Book Air's Wireless Disconnection Problem