Travel Report: Nürnberg and Amberg

I visited Mehmet Yagli in Amberg, my uni-mate. Okan, my toprak, joined from Stuttgart. I joined them actually, as Okan arrived in Nürnberg earlier. Here is a small illustrated report.

Started off in a Mexican Restaurant, which was owned by a Greek, but run by a Slovenian, with Turkish bar keepers. The drinks were pretty cheap. I told a girl that she had an nice accent in German, and asked where she came from. Answer? A village 30 minutes away. Got to know the Frenkish accent better... (For those who don't know which one is who, Yagli is the one with the more girlie drink.)


Then for some reason, I have serious reasons to think that it had to do with alcohol, spent rest of the evening asking literally everyone on the street what to do in Nürnberg on a Friday night. I did not give up even if everyone answered with Mach 1. Well we ended up going there, only to find out that it is another crappy multi floor multi genre club for people with exceptional music tastes. Sadly, I could not end the night with a hearty Döner. Another reason why I like Berlin.

After managing to arrive home (which is under the circumstances an accomplishment on its own, taking into account that Yagli's home in Amberg is 1 hour by train from Nürnberg), we started the day with a breakfast worthy to champions. I'd like to thank Yagli for Turkish sucuk (delicious garlic sausage). We wanted to walk around in the city, but listening our body's call for a break, did literally nothing for 6 hours....

Only to eat more...















Then we went to the only bar in town, which had a Disco theme night. I was honored by a waitress who told me my outfit fitted the theme perfectly- thought I am not sure if I should take that as a compliment, as I did not dress up for a disco night. I sang "Night Fever, Night Fever" from Beegees the whole night... I also met another friend from University, Baris.

Amberg is a weird town. Gothic architecture takes you back to the middle ages, and can be pretty scary if you are alone in the street in the middle of the night. I took this picture of the clock tower where secret rites take place. Then all of a sudden my camera ran out of battery. Certainly an ill omen, warning me from the mysterious things going on inside. As an avid Lovecraft reader, I yield to such prophecies and ran into the only dance club in the town, which was pretty lame.







We went to Nürnberg on Sunday morning to watch the Besiktas game in the Turkish quarter of the city. We played good, but were too unlucky with the ball to score the opening goal which would definetely seal the victory. I am very optimistic about our young team, we should just stick behind Jean Tigana...

Then we had a quick tour of Nürnberg old city with Yagli, after Okan left for Stuttgart. It is a very pretty city, but just pretty. I ate Nürnberger Bratwurst and Leberkäse with Sauerkraut. It certainly tasted better than in Berlin, still I catched a plane to Berlin where I can finish my weekend night-outs with Dürüm Döner with onions...

More pics on my Flickr.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balik Hafizali Millet ve Onun Oyunbaz Yöneticileri

Failed Training Day or Previously on Battlestar Galactica

Mixed-Up Confusion: How I solved Mac Book Air's Wireless Disconnection Problem