Gender Equality and Quality in Music

It is somewhat implicitly assumed that gender equality is a pre-condition for a better society. Although I am behind this idea, I never thought about the "why" question behind this. I am sure this is the topics of many dissertations and books. What occurred to me as I listened to my best alternative rock playlist in my mp3 player, that the quality of the music -as far as I can judge- is highly correlated with the gender equality in a band. All of my favorite rock bands have at least a single woman member:


Kim Gordon - Sonic Youth (Bass)



Maureen "Moe" Tucker - The Velvet Underground (Drums)


Kim Deal - Pixies (Bass)


Bilinda Butcher - My Bloody Valentine (Guitars/Vocals)



Debbie Googe - My Bloody Valentine (Bass)



By the way, you know where gender inequality leads. Spice Girls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balik Hafizali Millet ve Onun Oyunbaz Yöneticileri

Failed Training Day or Previously on Battlestar Galactica

Mixed-Up Confusion: How I solved Mac Book Air's Wireless Disconnection Problem