Nina Simone Sings Dylan



I've been interested in Nina Simone's music lately after reading this article about this interesting artist:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016/03/10/fierce-courage-nina-simone/

Trained to be a classical pianist, she was refused entry to conservatory in the segregated USA. When she was making money singing the blues, she interspersed Bach and Beethoven in popular tunes.

What she was really good at was being really honest about the rotten state of the country. Take this part from her song Missisipi Goddamn:

Oh but this whole country is full of lies
You're all gonna die and die like flies
I don't trust you any more
...
...
You don't have to live next to me
Just give me my equality
Everybody knows about Mississippi
Everybody knows about Alabama
Everybody knows about Mississippi Goddam

Still rings true...

My interest her gotten a new level after listening to her Dylan covers, which she takes to a whole different level...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balik Hafizali Millet ve Onun Oyunbaz Yöneticileri

Failed Training Day or Previously on Battlestar Galactica

Mixed-Up Confusion: How I solved Mac Book Air's Wireless Disconnection Problem