Greatest Rock Gig Ever and New Album from Bright Eyes

Spent the Monday home. Devoted the the whole day (well almost the whole, I woke up at 2pm) to spring clean-up. I did not know my apartment could house so much garbage without me knowing. Anyway I found some time to surf the web for interesting music news. I wanna share two...

Queen is my first musical obsession, to whom I owe a great deal for the appreciation for multi-layered polyphonic music I grew by listening to them, and helped me appreciating music across the spectrum. Dubbed the first "Stadium Rock"ers, their stage performances had always been great. More than their show on the stage, thanks to flamboyance of Freddie Mercury, they distinguished themselves by getting through to the guy sitting on the last row. People could relate to Queen, composed of the only true male rock diva, the scientist turned guitarist Brian May, the true rocker Roger Taylor and the shy guy on the street John Deacon who plays most of his sets facing Roger Taylor... Their brilliance on stage peaked during their Live Aid Performance, when they connected with the guy on the last row who was not a Queen fan. Channel 4 of UK voted this great performance the Greatest Rock Gig in front of Jimi Henrix's Woodstock Performance. The link I gave has the complete list. Here is an excerpt from the actual documentary:



and the complete 17 minute performance on Google Video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7002417054368545663


Bright Eyes, who is a regular face in my blog, will be releasing his new album titled Cassadaga, and his first single will be Four Winds, which has some bitter hard lyrics about the bitter reality:

" Your class, your caste, your country, sect, your name or your tribe
There's people always dying trying to keep them alive
His body's decomposing in containers tonight
In an abandoned building where"

and contains nice references to Yeats' poem Second Coming.

The video,



to me was a homage to Bob Dylan, to whom he is frequently compared to, and his 66 Machester gig where he went electric and played the show with his back to the booing crowd. Bright Eyes' Four Winds sounded a little more orchestral to me, but to see if it is a radical turn like Dylan's, I have to get a hold of the album first...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balik Hafizali Millet ve Onun Oyunbaz Yöneticileri

Failed Training Day or Previously on Battlestar Galactica

Mixed-Up Confusion: How I solved Mac Book Air's Wireless Disconnection Problem